Ethan 'n Beckett Land

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Nine Months Old


...and suddenly you have been in the outside world as long as you were inside me. The changes since last month have been subtle...you have not reached any obvious new major milestones, just gotten a little more confident with your movement and the articulation of your emotions.

When we have been away from each other and you see me - you dive towards me and clasp on to my neck now. It is the greatest feeling in the world. When your daddy comes home from work, you race-crawl over to him and flash a big grin holding your hands up or tugging on his pant leg until he lifts you up for a bear hug. Every time you do this it melts his heart.

When you wake up from sleep you are usually a little giddy and very affectionate. You pet our faces and say "uhhh-ahhh" gently or stroke our hair and than rub your eyes and bury your face in a neck or chest. It is always a race to get to your crib first when we are both home and you wake.
There is some scowly in you to accompany all of that sweetness... Like when you scream as if I am torturing you when I wash your hands and face after you eat. Or sometimes you get pissed off when getting changed and we have a wrestling match with your shirt. I guess this is the progression of your independence. Most of the time we find you amusing - but it is amazing how inherent the ability to annoy your family is...how do you know where these buttons are already?

You love the park and stare at all the running kids with wonder, admiration and longing. Many parents we meet at the park watch you do your crab walk or balance holding on to something and affirm that you will be walking in no time. I have no idea what my heart will do when this happens.

I love you!
Mama