Ethan 'n Beckett Land

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Sandcastle Surprise

Last night, Ethan got out of bed several (thousand) times. He would slip out of bed and escape from his room. Troy and I heard the thumpthumpthumpthumpthump of his little feet running across the wood floors and then down the stairs to our room. (gigglegigglegiggle) "Youwake? Its not early."
.
"It is the middle of the night - go back to bed!", I probably repeated a dozen times in my hiss-yell voice.
.
So we got up this morning with not much sleep from the night before and these kinds of days are generally painful in the parenting field from my experience. Troy was pooped but heading off to work - I was left to deal with Captain Crazy and his little brother Chuckles.
.
Troy called a half an hour later, "How is everyone doing?"
"Ummm, OK? I guess. I think I am going to go for a drive." I responded.
.
As I was getting us all dressed for the day I was thinking of driving destinations. Starbucks drive through. MacDonalds for a sausage and egg grease stack. Sooke? I will often go for a drive (I especially did in the early days of Beckett) as the kids are strapped down and generally get sleepy and I love to drive. Maybe Nanaimo? I've always wanted to check out that Children's Place Store - but then I would have to go in with the boys...
.
I started packing the diaper bag in anticipation of going on a really long drive to encourage a really long sleep. Then it hit me. Parksville. Beach and sandcastle competition.
.
So we got in the car and went to Starbucks for coffee and MacDonalds for breakfast and the Malahat for a nap and Parksville for entertainment for the day.
.
The plan worked. Thank goodness I brought extra clothes in the diaper bag as we all got sandy/soaked. I think some people felt sorry for me being dragged around by a puppy while a wet sandy baby was in my arms and I was trying to chase a toddler running in every direction on the most giant beach with the tide way out! I got lots of sympathy smiles and one mom said to me, "Only mom's with two or more know - and I can't believe you brought your dog - you're crazy, I leave mine at home". Point taken.
.
I'm glad we went out - I'm even glad we brought the dog. We had a good day despite all of the challenges. At least that is how I will choose to remember it from the pictures years from now.
"A tractor on the back of a truck!" OMG! I should have known it was an omen that the trip was going to be good.
Morning milk. EARLY morning milk.
Breakfast in the car. EARLY breakfast in the car.
Doggie pit stop. Wet grass. DANG! Sign of things to come.
Beckett conks out.
"Helicopter!" OMG! This is the best park ever.

No dogs allowed inside sandcastle exhibition. Sorry Kobe! A nice volunteer brought him a bucket of water and he got lots of AWWWS and pets of course.
"A castle! A HUGE castle!"
The "spacemans" were our favourite. It had a planet, a rocket, spacemans, and even a few aliens. i didn't get the whole sculpture in the picture. It was giant even compared to the other sculptures.The forever and ever beach.
With lots of sand. Mucky, wet, tide-out sand that REALLY sticks.

Plus some ice cream dribbles to make sure we get good and messy.

Group shot. Beckett kinda wanted out of the stroller...
Fresh clothes and the drive home. Beckett thought something was hilarious. Forgot extra socks and dry shoes...
Sweet, silent, slumber.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home