Ethan 'n Beckett Land

Monday, April 28, 2008

Gone to Doggie Heaven

Cooper is gone. I don't know how else to say this. We knew going to the vet today that we would probably not be coming home with him. Our vet was surprised at how sick he had gotten in the last two weeks. He was not responding to the "clinical" help and she agreed that he didn't need any more poking or prodding or pills.

I imagine that I kind of understand what the parents of death row inmates must go through. Knowing that time is marching towards the inevitable - yet waiting and hoping for that unrealistic last minute pardon that always seems to come in the movies.

His mind and spirit were willing, but his body was failing. It was comforting to see him still wag his tail, and pick up a ball because he was excited that someone was at the door - even this morning. As much as we wanted to find the good things and look for improvements, he was having a hard time breathing properly, and his back end was starting to give out, and he was asleep almost all the time. He was only eating because he was on steroids, and we didn't want to sustain him with medication.

It did not seem fair to keep him alive without really living because he had been such a vibrant and vigorous dog. We knew that we had to let him go because we really love him and we didn't want him to suffer.

We will miss the clickity clack of his stinky nacho feet on the deck and hardwood floors. We will miss his little "brain" and velvety ears. We will miss him barking at the church bells and the skoozies in the backyard. We will miss him picking up shoes and making a whirring noise everytime someone comes to the door. I'm sure that there will still be dog hair in everything I cook for the next several years - but that's ok.

It feels empty at our house right now with the kids asleep - but I know that Cooper is somewhere in doggie heaven enjoying some pepperoni sticks and a butt scratch - and winning the waggy-est tail contest because his whole back end is wiggling and his helicopter tail is lifting him off the ground.

5 Comments:

  • :(
    I cant stop crying?
    I didnt think I would be so effected by the death of a dog that wasnt even mine but I suppose I did grow up with Cooper! Im not much of a doggy lover but he was the best dog I had ever met, so precious and loving and smart.

    Regina, Troy and the boys:
    I'm sorry for your loss, we know how much he meant to you and he will be so very much missed.

    Cooper buddy I'm sorry I didnt get to say goodbye. I'm sure there are lots of skoozies in doggy heaven for you to chase! xox

    Tracy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:10 PM  

  • We are so sorry to hear about your loss of such a fabulous furry friend and family member. Our hearts are heavy with sadness. Thinking of you lots,
    Love Auntie Natty, Uncle Ax and Cousin Will

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:53 PM  

  • I am so sorry to hear that Cooper has moved on. Qimik is going to miss his best buddy and we are going to miss him too. Cooper was such a lovely dog and it was because of him that we got Qim.
    I can't imagine how different your house must feel right now. I am proud of your ability to think clearly and do what was best for him. I'm glad that I got to see him last week, and give him a scratch.

    I am sitting here bawling... All the best during this rough time. I can picture him up in doggy heaven chasing skooizes up trees and barking his little head off!! You painted such a lovely picture of him with your words in the post. He was a very special dog and will be very missed.

    Love & Hugs,
    Alicia

    By Blogger Alicia, at 12:02 PM  

  • I am so sad to see the passing of such a fantastic, cherished friend. Cooper will be sadly missed as official greeter and loving companion at the Robinson home.
    I'm going to take this opportunity to share some favorite Cooper moments.
    I will never forget the time I dog-sat with Cooper at the Robinson's townhouse in the 'ghetto'! Cooper and I were having a great day. We had a nice walk and the day was coming to an end. As he cuddled up to me in bed, I heard the distinct rumblings of intestinal discontent! Hmmmm?! This does not sound good! We managed to fall asleep. As the night passed and I dozed peacefully, things were brewing!!! If I remember correctly, it was 2:27 when I was startled awake by the urgent distress call of... a humpback whale?! No... it was Cooper, pacing frantically from the bedroom door to the bed, making a strange high pitched squeeling sound. The rumblings of his belly still audible and approaching earthquake decibles. We raced downstairs and I let him out to free himself from the turmoil of his bowels. He came back to the house, a little out of breath but with a little more bounce in his step. He came back upstairs, and we cuddled up into bed again. I stroked his back and he let out a long relieved sigh, and fell back to sleep.
    I always had the feeling Cooper liked me a little more than everyone else that came to the door, even though I'm sure he made everyone feel that way. It was just who he was. He has brought me countless offerings upon my various arrivals to the Robinson home. "Gifts for the new guest! Welcome! I'm so happy to see you! Please enjoy this stinky, dirty sneaker! I've picked it just for you! We walked earlier today with them so that they'd smell especially good for you! Please come in and stay for a while!" He could put any Wal-Mart greeter to shame!
    I'll also remember his eyes. There was such kindness and love behind them. I heard a quote recently that seems appropriate. "Someday, I hope to become the person my dog thinks I am." Cooper loved his people and did it well.
    I hope I have brought a smile to your face and stirred up a few of your own favorite Cooper memories during this difficult time.
    Goodbye buddy! You will be missed but fondly remembered!
    Love,
    Annie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:56 AM  

  • I was ready to fight Annie on her comment about Cooper liking her a little more than everyone else that came to the door but then as I read on...she was right that was just what made Cooper so special he made you feel so wanted and loved!

    You know how sorry Shayne and I are and I can't even imagine Dakota finding out...she would be so upset as she always had a little crush on the black stallion!(So did I)

    Love Kellie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home